How To Realistically Stay Vegan in College

 


    I first became aware of the term “vegan” during the forgotten era of tumblr and hipsters back in 2012. At the time, just about everyone was making fun of people who were vegan, assuming they were odd or annoying just because of their diet. I began to truly research veganism freshman year of college, after I had gained the infamous freshman 15. Those extra pounds hit me straight in the gut, and I wanted to seek ways to become healthier and kinder to my body. Trying a brand new diet, especially veganism, in college is practically unheard of. College is a time when one should be shoveling pizza into their mouth on a Friday night, or trying every suspicious meal item at the dining hall just to say that they did. I, on the other hand, was looking to alter my college lifestyle. Those slices of cheese pizza and odd casserole dishes from the Cafe did not work well with my body, and I decided it was officially time for a change. 

    While I started to dabble in veganism late freshman year, I officially became 100% vegan the spring semester of my sophomore year. I started where all people should start their vegan journey: the grocery store. Prowling the aisles of Harris Teeter, I loaded my cart up with dairy-free macaroni and cheese, almond milk, vegetables, various containers of hummus, and an everlasting supply of dairy-free chips and cereals. This brings me to my first point: you don't necessarily have to be strict on an all vegan diet. Jumping into just plain vegetables and some sort of carb for one’s meals can be hard to do, especially if you are just starting out. Switching out Cheetos for dairy-free cheese puffs or regular milk for almond/coconut milk can make a vast difference, and you can barely even tell there is a change in the food item. Almond Milk simply tastes like milk. Dairy-free snacks taste the same as those with dairy. The change in the diet, however, is a big change. For a college student, switching to a dairy and meat free diet can be extremely hard, but little by little it does get easier.

Something that long term vegans don’t tell you is that you hit a slump after about 2 weeks of beginning a vegan diet. This slump is awful--especially for someone in college. Seeing my friends eat Taco Bell quesadillas at 2 am and drinking CookOut milkshakes next to me really started to take a toll on my mental, as I was surrounded by food items I wanted but couldn’t have. It is important that when one chooses to become vegan, they need to have a reason so they can truly stick to the diet. My reason was that dairy never really agreed with me, and I wanted to eliminate red meat from my diet after reading about how harmful it is. Studies show that red meat can lead to “a number of heart problems, such as heart disease, cancers, kidney problems, digestive issues, and mortality” (Butler). For my fellow college students, I advise finding that reason for switching your diet, as it’ll help you get over the dreadful 2 week slump. Also, a word of wisdom-- you will slip up when you first start out on your diet journey, you will be tempted to eat a piece of cheese, and you will have cheat days. These are all realistic and normal, and I went through all of the above. 


Another helpful tip to get through being vegan in college is to look up vegan food options from each fast food restaurant near your campus. While this may seem time consuming, it is extremely helpful in the long run! I have a list of food options on my phone from Taco Bell, Chipotle, McDonalds, Wendy’s, and more, that are all vegan. It’s a great tool to keep in your notes, especially when you get those late night cravings during the week. As plant based diets are starting to become a trend in 2020, a lot of fast food restaurants and chains are actually implementing plant based options on their menus. Burger King has an impossible veggie burger, and Taco Bell has a vegan menu (ps. order anything fresco style with no meat and it’s vegan). 

Also, be sure to check if your campus has a vegan corner at the dining hall. I am lucky enough that my university has vegan options at every major dining hall on campus, so i know i will always find something to eat. 



While being vegan in college may seem hard, if you follow these guidelines and tips it gets easier. I have found that with time i don’t even think “oh this needs to be vegan,” but i rather just do it. It has become a way of life for me, and I can genuinely say that switching my diet 2 years ago has increased my energy levels, allowed me to lose my freshman 15 in a healthy way, and continued to satisfy my fast food cravings.


(before becoming vegan, after being vegan for 2 years) my body is so much healthier, and so is my mental health!


References:
Butler, N. (2019, August 27). Is red meat bad for you? Benefits, risks, research, and guidelines. Retrieved September 17, 2020, from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326156


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dead or Alive?

The Invention of the Printing Press

Protecting the Right to Dissent